Chickpeas, AKA garbanzo beans, are nutty in flavor, packed with plant protein, low in calories and fat and have endless uses whether blended into a hummus or a soup, or thrown into a salad for extra protein and flavor. Toss some canned chickpeas in these smoky red spices and enjoy a crunchy, protein-filled snack.
Here’s how to make it…
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (no-salt-added or low-sodium), rinsed and well-drained
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. salt
1. Arrange the chickpeas on paper towels and allow them to air dry for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl, mix together the chickpeas with the oil, spices, and salt until they are evenly coated with seasoning. Arrange on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chickpeas are golden brown and crunchy.
5. Store in an airtight container.