Newly Appointed Postdoctoral Researchers/Visiting Scholars
In order to enroll in this program, you must complete and submit the New Hire Enrollment form in this section. Links to assist you with understanding the benefits offered, as well as offering instructions on completing the enrollment form properly, are offered below.
Please note: Social Security numbers are not used for identity purposes with the insurance carriers, or for this web site. For log-in and ID purposes, your Chicago ID will be used.
This section of the web site contains links to the following information:
- New Hire Enrollment Form Instructions - Please print this document to assist you in completing the Enrollment Form while online. The Enrollment Instructions provide detailed information regarding completion of each section of the form.
- New Hire Enrollment Form - The enrollment form must be completed by all postdoctoral scholars during the Initial Period of Eligibility which is within 31 days of your Job Begin Date. Please complete a form for any of the following reasons:
- To enroll yourself and eligible dependents
- To waive coverage for yourself
- To waive coverage for your eligible dependents
- To complete the life insurance beneficiary information
- To acknowledge that you have read the General Notice of COBRA Continuation Rights
Please note: If you do not enroll yourself or your eligible dependents within the 31-day initial period of eligibility, neither you nor your dependents will be eligible for enrollment in these plans until the next open enrollment period for the following plan year, unless there is a qualifying event. Your 31-day initial period of eligibility begins on your Job Begin Date shown in Section 1 of the Enrollment Form.
The New Hire Enrollment Form is a secure document, and in order to initially access the form you will need your 1) Chicago ID and 2) date of birth. When you click on New Hire Enrollment Form, you will be prompted to enter this information in the spaces provided. Once you have entered the information, click Login and you will be prompted to create your own unique password. Please keep a note of this password for future visits to this web site. Once you create your unique password, you will be taken to your pre-populated enrollment form. If you are unable to access the form with your Chicago ID and date of birth, please call us immediately for assistance at the number listed below. If you do not know your Chicago ID, please click on this link to access your number from the University web site https://cnet.uchicago.edu/ams/servlet/ChicagoIDSearch.
- Enrollment Form Login - You may login to view your current enrollment selections or to make changes to your enrollment based on a qualified event. Login as a returning user with your Chicago ID Number and the unique password you created.
- 2017 Monthly Rates/Contributions - This document details the premiums that will be charged by the insurance carriers beginning January 1st, 2016 for each line of coverage, as well as displays the premium contribution required from both Tier 1 and Tier 2 Postdoctoral Scholars. If you are a Postdoctoral Fellow, please check with your Department Administrator to learn of your premium contribution.
Coverage for benefits begin on your Job Begin Date displayed in Section 1 of the enrollment form. Regardless of any administrative delays in the process of finalizing your employment record, your enrollment will be retroactive back to your appointment start date. All benefits are billed one month in advance. This means that deductions taken from your paycheck at the end of the current month are to pay for next month’s coverage. For example, if your job begin date is in October and you enroll in November your November paycheck will have deductions for October, November and December.
- Affidavit of Domestic Partnership - You must submit this form at the time of enrollment into the plans if you enroll your eligible same-sex Domestic Partner in the PRBP. Please print the form, complete the required sections and signatures, then either scan and e-mail the document to PRBP@garnett-powers.com or fax to the attention of Candace Nicholson at 949-583-2929. A copy of your form will be kept in the University of Chicago Human Resources Department. For opposite-sex Domestic Partner enrollments, please contact the University of Chicago.
For opposite-sex Domestic Partner enrollments, please contact the University of Chicago.
General Notice of COBRA Continuation Coverage Rights - This document contains important information regarding the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) pertaining to your enrollment in the Postdoctoral Researcher Benefits Program. The General Notice of COBRA Continuation Coverage Rights contains language that assumes you have already enrolled in the plan(s), and is included as a section of the enrollment form.
You must click Yes on the New Hire Enrollment Form, agreeing that you have read and understand this document to allow you to submit and print your form. If you are enrolling an adult dependent, when you click Yes, you are confirming that this person has also read and understands the COBRA information included in this document. If you waive coverage for yourself, this document does not pertain to you.
Garnett-Powers & Associates is pleased to offer a Customer Service Representative who will assist you with benefit and enrollment questions. We will return your call or answer your email within 24 hours. Please address your questions to:
We thank you for the opportunity to be of service to you and your family.
Many of the informational links from this site require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need to download the latest version, click the icon above. Acrobat Reader is free.