Garnett-Powers & Associates is pleased to offer the Visiting Scholar Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan. This comprehensive medical plan is offered through UnitedHealthcare Student Resources, a company specializing in university health programs. The dental plan is provided by Assurant and offers a breadth of coverage through an HMO model, as well as the discount vision plan provided by VSP Vision at no additional cost.
The Visiting Scholar Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan exceeds all the J visa insurance requirements as well as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements. As a Visiting Scholar or Student on the UCLA campus, you are required to have medical insurance that is ACA compliant. You can obtain this coverage through this program, from another insurer or provided by your home country. This will also apply to your eligible dependents.
You have the option of enrolling in the Visiting Scholar Injury and Sickness Insurance Program or you may choose to waive out of the plan. The minimum levels of coverage that must be offered through your own insurance to waive are:
- No overall maximum dollar limit for medical coverage
- Annual deductible of no more than $500
- Coinsurance that does not exceed 25%
- Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000
- Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered with no waiting period or exclusions or dollar limits
- Maternity must be a covered benefit
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse services must be a covered benefit
- Preventive Care & Wellness Services must be covered with no cost (includes immunizations and screening tests)
- Prescription drugs must be a covered benefit
- Carrier must be at least A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government
If your insurance meets these requirements, you may waive for this plan. You must provide proof of insurance coverage by providing a copy of your insurance policy or schedule of benefits written in English. (If your policy is not written in English, you must provide an official translation of the insurance.) You may either scan and email your document to UCLAVSISP@Garnett-Powers.com or fax it to 949-215-2275, attention UCLA Visiting Scholar Services.
If you waive coverage for yourself and/or your eligible dependents, you will not be eligible for coverage until the new plan year that begins September 1, 2016, unless you experience a qualifying event, such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or an involuntary loss of employer coverage.
We thank you for the opportunity to be of service to you and your family.
Many of the informational links from this site require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need to download the latest version, click the icon above. Acrobat Reader is free.
Program and benefit information contained on this site has been deemed reliable, but can change without notice.